From Jonathan Ellis <>
Subject Re: Cassandra version number policy
Date Thu, 02 Jul 2009 23:28:39 GMT
On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 1:37 PM, Anthony
Molinaro<> wrote:
> So does that mean the versioning policy is
> where UNUSED is well, unused or some other marker, and a change to MAJOR
> means binary incompatibility, and a change to MINOR is new features or
> bug fixes which do not mean binary incompatibility?

I would say that MAJOR allows the possibility of binary
incompatibility, and we will mention this in CHANGES.txt and release
announcements if it does, but for the vast majority of future major
releases this will not be the case.  Log structured merge just isn't
that complicated a format.

> A somewhat related question, I'm using an svn external to keep a tree
> in my svn project which builds rpms and maven packages.  I currently have
> that tree pointed at the HEAD, but that seems risky because its a moving
> target.  I'd like to point at the 0.3.0 release.  Does the cassandra-0.3.0-rc3
> tag represent that release?  (ie, if I were to download the tarball and
> checkout that tag would the code be equivalent)

Yes, the rc3 tag is what will be released as -final, modulo some yak
shaving (
 The code will be the same.

View raw message