From Carl Byström <cgbyst...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Announcing 0.3.0
Date Mon, 20 Jul 2009 23:52:44 GMT
On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 12:36 AM, Eric Evans <eevans@rackspace.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 2009-07-20 at 23:19 +0200, Viktor Klang wrote:
> > Any chance of getting it hosted on the Incubator Repository?
> >
> > http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-incubating-repository/
>
> I know next to nothing about maven, is this something that requires the
> distribution to include a pom.xml? Put another way, 0.3.0 is immutable
> at this point, so is this something that can still be done or would it
> require another release?

I just ran a modified version of Hiram's Maven patch on 0.3.0-final (
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-301).
After adding some more dependencies (ZooKeeper and Lucene deps were missing)
it installed fine, also removed two other.
I guess 0.3.0-final could be retrofitted with a POM (the build file for
Maven). The source does not need to be modified but the retrofitted POM must
be deployed alongside the generated binary JAR of Cassandra (Maven handles
this for you, but the repo version of Cassandra will then differ in the
sense of it having a POM file while the SVN/source version doesn't).

However, some dependencies are defined as system dependencies, meaning that
the end-user/developer using Cassandra will need provide these dependencies
themselves.
This defeats the purpose of the Maven repository system and I guess the only
reason Hiram put them there was because he couldn't find the needed
dependencies in publicly available repositories. Perhaps there is a way
around this? Otherwise, we'll have to find repos that offer these deps
before we can (safely) put Cassandra in the incubator repo.

Ian, a committer with write access to the incubator repo can push artifacts.
Hiram included a Maven profile for signing and creating an Apache release.

-- Carl