From Eric Evans <eev...@racklabs.com>
Subject Re: Announcing 0.3.0
Date Tue, 21 Jul 2009 15:54:29 GMT
On Tue, 2009-07-21 at 01:52 +0200, Carl Byström wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 12:36 AM, Eric Evans <eevans@rackspace.com> wrote:

[ ... ]

> > I know next to nothing about maven, is this something that requires the
> > distribution to include a pom.xml? Put another way, 0.3.0 is immutable
> > at this point, so is this something that can still be done or would it
> > require another release?
>
> I just ran a modified version of Hiram's Maven patch on 0.3.0-final (
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-301).
> After adding some more dependencies (ZooKeeper and Lucene deps were missing)
> it installed fine, also removed two other.
> I guess 0.3.0-final could be retrofitted with a POM (the build file for
> Maven). The source does not need to be modified but the retrofitted POM must
> be deployed alongside the generated binary JAR of Cassandra (Maven handles
> this for you, but the repo version of Cassandra will then differ in the
> sense of it having a POM file while the SVN/source version doesn't).

If I understand you correctly, the answer is yes, you would need to
retroactively update 0.3.0. Even for simple changes this is frowned upon
so it sounds like we're talking about a new release (0.3.1) in order to
be able to do this.

> However, some dependencies are defined as system dependencies, meaning that
> the end-user/developer using Cassandra will need provide these dependencies
> themselves.
> This defeats the purpose of the Maven repository system and I guess the only
> reason Hiram put them there was because he couldn't find the needed
> dependencies in publicly available repositories. Perhaps there is a way
> around this? Otherwise, we'll have to find repos that offer these deps
> before we can (safely) put Cassandra in the incubator repo.

Interesting. Could you please update
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-301 with this
information?

--