From Jonathan Ellis <jbel...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Alternative wire protocols
Date Wed, 24 Jun 2009 23:33:01 GMT
On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 5:23 PM, Michael Greene<michael.greene@gmail.com> wrote:
> Besides the general 'Thrift is a pain' clamor, what improvements are
> needed from Thrift for Cassandra?
>
> It seems like at the moment it's
>  * TFramedTransport in more languages
>  * TCompactProtocol in more languages
>  * Better documentation
>  * Released / packaged binaries

 * less regressions (I don't update _that_ often and I've still been
surprised by the python compiler emitting code that simply doesn't
parse on at least two occasions)
 * less glacial dev process (you not only have to submit a patch, you
have to track down a dev who actually cares about the files you
patched, and ask him personally, usually repeatedly, to review by
email or IRC)
 * unicode support that isn't industry-leading for broken-ness.  If
you pick any two Thrift implementations at random and send unicode
data from one to the other your odds of getting non-garbage are poor.
Unfortunately David Reiss considers this a "feature."

Thrift is by miles the dependency I wish we didn't depend on.

-Jonathan