From Jonathan Ellis <jbel...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: proposal: rename <table> to <namespace>
Date Mon, 22 Jun 2009 17:13:07 GMT
On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 11:58 AM, Alexander Staubo<alex@purefiction.net> wrote:
> If that's your point, you could have made it clearer. You will not
> achieve that goal by calling it a "namespace". I would argue that
> users tend to be more familiar with the idea of a "table"

That's exactly the problem: they *think* they know what "table" means,
but in Cassandra the correct analog is the ColumnFamily (modulo
denormalization and other changes of course).  To a first
approximation it's *never* correct to map a relational table to a
cassandra table.

> and the
> fact that you can use Cassandra naively as a simple table makes it
> easier to get started with the basics: "Oh, I see, I can use like a
> MySQL table or a persistent kind of Memcached store." And then later,
> when the user is ready to put away his/her chilish things: "Oh, I can
> use it in this weird multidimensional way! Cool!"

Actually, Cassandra doesn't support multidimensional cells a la Bigtable.

So the situation is worse than I originally thought: not only are we
confusing people from a relational background, we are causing people
who read Bigtable to assume that Cassandra is more similar to BT than
it really is.

Both of these can be fixed with a terminology change.

-Jonathan