From Jonathan Ellis <jbel...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: proposal: rename <table> to <namespace>
Date Mon, 22 Jun 2009 16:39:46 GMT
On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 11:32 AM, Alexander
Staubo<madevilgenius@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 4:43 PM, Jonathan Ellis<jbellis@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 9:35 AM, Matt Revelle<mrevelle@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Cassandra only supports one table per instance (before today?).  However, as
>>> Jonathan mentioned previously, what you consider to be tables are
>>> represented as column families in Cassandra.
>>
>> See, this is why I suggested renaming <table> -- _everyone_ who hasn't
>> read the Bigtable paper (which is increasingly approaching 100% of new
>> users) makes this mistake.
>
> I have read the Bigtable paper, and I'm not making any mistake.

But that's my point.  _most_ users have _not_ read the Bigtable paper,
and it's those people we need to optimize for, not you and other
Bigtable-readers.

> To explicate on my earlier argument, here are a few other things that
> I consider to be part of a table/namespace/whatchamacallit:

I find it extremely depressing that you have so much time to argue
about nomenclature but no time to submit patches for any of those.

-Jonathan