From Jonathan Ellis <jbel...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: proposal: rename <table> to <namespace>
Date Mon, 22 Jun 2009 16:10:38 GMT
On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 10:59 AM, Chris Goffinet<cg@chrisgoffinet.com> wrote:
> But the thing is, BigTable uses 'Tables' as well. Calling it namespaces just
> makes it even more confusing.

Well, (a) it's only confusing to people who have actually read the
Bigtable paper, and they can cope. :P  HBase and HyperTable haven't
been religious about Bigtable nomenclature and it hasn't killed them.

Especially since only a small fraction of the Bigtable paper is
actually relevant to Cassandra I don't want to push that too hard as
containing Our Official Vision.

And namespace is really a better name. :P

Another alternative is "schema," but to me that implies a more rigid,
rdbms-like structure.

Namespace just implies "keys in one namespace/table won't conflict
with keys in another" which is exactly right.  (And maybe it's a
slight abuse of the term to add options like key ordering there but
the more important Big Picture connotation is correct.)

-Jonathan