From Evan Weaver <ewea...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Alternative wire protocols
Date Thu, 25 Jun 2009 18:15:11 GMT
Also keep in mind that not all deployments of Cassandra are
performance-critical.

My current project is an integration/legacy MySQL replacement, so the
database is used as a system of record but not of (significant)
runtime. The read paths are fronted by caches with 97% hit rates. A
JSON http API would be more than performant enough, and ease the
integration path by not requiring a new component (Thrift) in the
client stack.

Having a quick time-to-production through easy integration is much
more important to us. Then, if production experience suggests that we
can remove some of the caches as a phase 2, we will worry about
transport performance.

Evan

--
Evan Weaver