From Alexander Staubo <a...@bengler.no>
Subject Re: proposal: rename <table> to <namespace>
Date Sat, 20 Jun 2009 14:30:16 GMT
On Sat, Jun 20, 2009 at 3:54 PM, Jonathan Ellis<jbellis@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think we should rename table to namespace in the config file.
> Calling it "table" confuses people coming from an rdbms background
> (i.e. just about everyone).

Actually I think "table" is perfect. A "namespace" in mainstream
computer science nomenclature just means a set of names that are
logically separate from another set of names, to avoid conflicts.
Namespaces don't contain data, just names.

As I have argued before, the concept of table in Cassandra ought to be
able to express more than just a namespace, but also things like
column families, replication factor, data file locations, key ordering
settings, etc.

If you don't like "table", going up a notch to "database" might be acceptable?

A.