From Ian Holsman <...@holsman.net>
Subject Re: Alternative wire protocols
Date Wed, 24 Jun 2009 22:24:21 GMT
Hi Evan.

first let me just say this. If you have the energy to write it, and to
support it, no one will stop you. It's your itch.. go scratch it.

The problem becomes of longer term support (ie if you get hit by a
bus), but I believe others will take up the code, or it will go to
dust from neglect (which is ok). So in the short term I would create a
'contrib' or 'experimental' area in cassandra for these interfaces to
live in, and for you to find other like minded people to help you out.

as opposed to Jonathan, I actually like X over http interfaces, as
they are dead simple to use, and makes development so much easier.
(and I speak from using X over http interfaces for over 10 years in
multiple jobs). And as Jonathan (and Jay) mention they might be
slower, for most people they would be ok. (note: I am not saying we
throw away fast binary interfaces!).

So I would be +1 on another protocol, but only if you don't expect
others who don't use it/want it to write it for you.

--
Ian Holsman
Ian@Holsman.net