From Matthieu Riou <matthieu.r...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Cassandra 0.3 RC is out
Date Thu, 14 May 2009 17:39:38 GMT
On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 8:15 AM, Jonathan Ellis <jbellis@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 9:57 AM, Matthieu Riou <matthieu.riou@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 7:53 AM, Jonathan Ellis <jbellis@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >> I've quoted ant's paste several times now.  That is certainly how "Do
> >> not include any links on the project website that might encourage
> >> non-developers to download and use nightly builds..."  reads to me.
> >
> > Then you're maybe reading too much to the letter. Look around, many
> projects
> > include links to their nightlies. All projects publish temporary binaries
> > until a release is properly voted. Those are not advertised to users
> > however. Do you see what would be the problem with having users
> downloading
> > those?
>
> Programmers (and lawyers!) are pedants by nature. :P
>
> If the letter is routinely disregarded because it is overly strict,
> then the letter should be changed or it becomes difficult to tell
> which letters are to be taken seriously.

The policy is fine, it explains what, not how, which is just right for a
policy. If you read it again, you'll notice the "...that might encourage
non-developers to download and use nightly builds" part which is actually
pretty well phrased. You're reading absolutes in something that's not.

> Hence my suggestion that the decision of whether to link nightly
> builds ought to be left up to individual projects (de jure as well as
> de facto).

I believe this thread proves the exact opposite, starting with your email to
cassandra-user :)

Matthieu