From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Cassandra 0.3 RC is out
Date Thu, 14 May 2009 11:08:53 GMT
On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 12:48 PM, Jonathan Ellis <jbellis@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 5:24 AM, ant elder <ant.elder@gmail.com> wrot
>> "Do not include any links on the project website that might encourage
>> non-developers to download and use nightly builds, snapshots, release
>> candidates, or any other similar package. The only people who are
>> supposed to know about such packages are the people following the dev
>> list (or searching its archives) and thus aware of the conditions
>> placed on the package. If you find that the general public are
>> downloading such test packages, then remove them.
>
> What problem is this policy supposed to solve?  The days of someone
> downloading a nightly build and being surprised it's not release
> quality are long gone, if they ever existed.
>
> In my mind the point of having nightly builds available is so that
> someone can check to see if a bug he ran into is fixed in the latest
> code before filing a bug report, or try out new features before an
> official release.

Many ASF projects do have nightly builds, they should just not be
advertised outside of the dev list.

> ...This really seems like an area that projects should be able to set
> their own policy guided by common sense...

It's currently not the case.

If you want to change that, talk to your mentors who can bring the question up.

> (Is the ASF a place where I can raise questions like this without
> being shut down with "this is how we do things here, go away if you
> don't like it?"  I guess we will see.)

You're welcome to raise questions like this, and there are ways to fix things.

The "all decisions on the dev mailing list" rule is one of those cast
in stone "this is how we do things here" rules, there's no way around
that one.

--Bertrand