From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Cassandra 0.3 RC is out
Date Thu, 14 May 2009 10:44:50 GMT
On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 12:31 PM, Jonathan ellis <jbellis@gmail.com> wrote:
> You're right, it has not been obvious from the ML alone that we were this
> close to a RC, but it has been very clear on IRC.  My apologies for not
> being louder here too.  (although anyone interested in Cassandra dev really
> -should- be on irc.)...

One of the important principles in ASF projects is that all decisions
happen on the dev mailing list.

Having conversations on IRC is fine of course,but as soon as they turn
into important discussions or decisions potential decisions that must
come back to the list.

The goal is to allow people who are not following all the time (like
me) to stay on top of all important things, without having to require
them to use a synchronous channel.

> ...IMO it it better to have this under the site from the perspective of a user
> trying to find the tarball he was reproducing a specific issue on but that
> is my only reason to prefer one URL to another....

The docs cited by Ant make it clear that this is not the way to go. As
long as the tarball is clearly identified as your own creation, no
problem with that, but it should not be confused with something that
the Cassandra project created.

Having it under http://incubator.apache.org/cassandra/releases/
clearly crosses that line.

-Bertrand