From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Cassandra 0.3 RC is out
Date Thu, 14 May 2009 10:13:24 GMT
(dropping the users list from CC)

On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 5:29 AM, Jonathan Ellis <jbellis@gmail.com> wrote:
> Oops, fat-fingered the url:
> http://incubator.apache.org/cassandra/releases/cassandra-0.3-rc.tgz

Hi,

Although I understand this is not meant to be an official release, and
totally agree that getting early feedback is good, the way this is
presented is confusing.

The term "release candidate" and putting it under cassandra/releases
makes it appear as publishing this tarball is a project decision, but
I see no discussions on this dev list about putting this release
candidate out.

I'd be much more comfortable if you would move it under
http://people.apache.org/~jbellis/, for example, to make it clear that
you, as opposed to the Cassandra project, are providing a tarball for
people to test. Or use the "bleeding edge" link at
http://incubator.apache.org/cassandra/#download, which points to
development snapshots.

As is now, the potential for confusion with an Apache release (or
release candidate) is too high IMO.

What do mentors think?

-- Bertrand (with my Incubator PMC member hat on)