From Jonathan ellis <>
Subject Re: Cassandra 0.3 RC is out
Date Thu, 14 May 2009 10:31:10 GMT
You're right, it has not been obvious from the ML alone that we were
this close to a RC, but it has been very clear on IRC.  My apologies
for not being louder here too.  (although anyone interested in
Cassandra dev really -should- be on irc.)

IMO it it better to have this under the site from the perspective of a
user trying to find the tarball he was reproducing a specific issue on
but that is my only reason to prefer one URL to another.

On May 14, 2009, at 5:13 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz
<> wrote:

> (dropping the users list from CC)
> On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 5:29 AM, Jonathan Ellis <>
> wrote:
>> Oops, fat-fingered the url:
> Hi,
> Although I understand this is not meant to be an official release, and
> totally agree that getting early feedback is good, the way this is
> presented is confusing.
> The term "release candidate" and putting it under cassandra/releases
> makes it appear as publishing this tarball is a project decision, but
> I see no discussions on this dev list about putting this release
> candidate out.
> I'd be much more comfortable if you would move it under
>, for example, to make it clear that
> you, as opposed to the Cassandra project, are providing a tarball for
> people to test. Or use the "bleeding edge" link at
>, which points to
> development snapshots.
> As is now, the potential for confusion with an Apache release (or
> release candidate) is too high IMO.
> What do mentors think?
> -- Bertrand (with my Incubator PMC member hat on)
>> On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 10:28 PM, Jonathan Ellis
>> <> wrote:
>>> Short version:
>>> Long version:
>>> Release Candidate means "we fixed all the bugs we could find; help
>>> us
>>> find more so the release is even more solid." :)
>>> I've created a 0.3 branch for bugfixes; trunk will now be for 0.4
>>> development.  I'll start to look at the patches I've been postponing
>>> until the RC was out now; thanks for your patience, Jun and Sandeep.
>>> -Jonathan

View raw message