From ant elder <ant.el...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Cassandra 0.3 RC is out
Date Thu, 14 May 2009 10:24:28 GMT
On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 11:13 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz
<bdelacretaz@apache.org> wrote:
> (dropping the users list from CC)
>
> On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 5:29 AM, Jonathan Ellis <jbellis@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Oops, fat-fingered the url:
>> http://incubator.apache.org/cassandra/releases/cassandra-0.3-rc.tgz
>
> Hi,
>
> Although I understand this is not meant to be an official release, and
> totally agree that getting early feedback is good, the way this is
> presented is confusing.
>
> The term "release candidate" and putting it under cassandra/releases
> makes it appear as publishing this tarball is a project decision, but
> I see no discussions on this dev list about putting this release
> candidate out.
>
> I'd be much more comfortable if you would move it under
> http://people.apache.org/~jbellis/, for example, to make it clear that
> you, as opposed to the Cassandra project, are providing a tarball for
> people to test. Or use the "bleeding edge" link at
> http://incubator.apache.org/cassandra/#download, which points to
> development snapshots.
>
> As is now, the potential for confusion with an Apache release (or
> release candidate) is too high IMO.
>
> What do mentors think?
>
> -- Bertrand (with my Incubator PMC member hat on)

I agree. I know it may seem a PITA but i think the this is an
important area for poddlings to learn about. The ASF realese guide has
this to say:

"Do not include any links on the project website that might encourage
non-developers to download and use nightly builds, snapshots, release
candidates, or any other similar package. The only people who are
supposed to know about such packages are the people following the dev
list (or searching its archives) and thus aware of the conditions
placed on the package. If you find that the general public are
downloading such test packages, then remove them.

Under no circumstances are unapproved builds a substitute for
releases. If this policy seems inconvenient, then release more often.
Proper release management is a key aspect of Apache software
development."

http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html#what

   ...ant