From Matthieu Riou <matthieu.r...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: working together
Date Wed, 08 Apr 2009 15:50:18 GMT
On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 12:38 AM, Torsten Curdt <tcurdt@apache.org> wrote:

> >> Unfortunately no one noticed that the
> >> actual authors bringing the code were NOT on the private list where
> >> the vote was held. So we got a new committer without the consent
> >> and/or feedback of the original authors. A big surprise.
> >

> > I disagree here, I was fully aware that we hadn't formed the PPMC from
> the
> > committership yet (read PPMC = mentors) and at least on my side it was by
> > design. I should probably have pointed it out at the time just in case
> > though, my bad.
>
> Well, I feel tricked into a vote now. That is NOT right. The vote
> should come from the community - not the mentors. Whether you like it
> or not.

Tricked into a vote? What are you accusing me of, scheming in your back? I
was just mentioning what I thought to be everybody's opinion at that point
and I regret you didn't know (that was the "my bad" part). But tell me, how
could I have known you didn't know? Read your mind?

Now I have mentored quite a few podlings so far, some coming from
confronting codebases or others with very heavy political backgrounds.
Sometimes, votes coming from the community just lead to project suicide
whether you like it or not.

> > Avinash and Prashant are two very nice fellows but the Cassandra
> community
> > has to be larger than FB employees and actually was already, given the
> > different forks that were developed here and there. Waiting to form the
> PPMC
> > until it's more balanced in this case seems like a reasonable thing to
> do.
>
> "OK, now childs play together" .. it doesn't work that way.

Oh really? So how does it work then, enlighten me.

Matthieu