From Matthieu Riou <matthieu.r...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: working together
Date Wed, 08 Apr 2009 04:25:37 GMT
On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 8:26 PM, Avinash Lakshman <avinash.lakshman@gmail.com
> wrote:

> Hit Send a bit too early. Thanks Torsten for bringing this up. I really
> appreciate it. No one apart from committers I think should be voting for
> other people becoming committer. I am assuming here only the committers are
> involved with the project from a code perspective. With regards to that,
> Matt I respectfully disagree with your assessment about Jonathan becoming a
> committer. I strongly believe that it has to come from the committers
> themselves. In short, I mean absolutely no disrespect to Jonathan or anyone
> else, but Matt's assessment needs to come from the guys involved with this
> on a day-day basis from a code perspective. My aim was to put forth our
> frustration and not meant to put down anyone.

Let me explain the reasoning behind what I said, I hope it will help
clarify. The motto that Apache often put forth is "Community over Code".
Community for code might actually be more accurate but it's less catchy :)
We build communities around open source projects and try to build them as
strongly as possible so they can survive many, many years. And lots of folks
around here actually have quite a bit of experience doing that, so we all
benefit from that experience.

As an example (which, to be clear, doesn't apply here but illustrates the
point) the mythological genius hacker, who's able to write half of a perfect
garbage collector in a night but never communicates to anybody is a total
nightmare for an open source project. It's actually a very good way to stop
attracting any new committer. Another dangerous tendency, which applies a
bit more here, is to "freeze" the codebase, saying it's good enough, without
proposing a clear roadmap or any possible enhancement. How can anybody
volunteer in helping under such condition? I'd rather an unstable code with
a lot to do anyday.

So getting back to your "it has to come from the committers", I would agree
in general. But not for Cassandra. Cassandra is not Hadoop and at this point
is very, very far from it.

I'd like this project to survive. I have absolutely no personal interest in
it but I've pumped in enough time to not see it wasted. And accepting new
committers at this point is vital, otherwise the project will just go to a
slow and painful death, believe me, I've learned to see the spiral early. I
understand you don't like it and it probably comes as an unpleasant jolt but
I also feel like acceptable alternatives have been proposed (working on
branches, discussing patches, actually providing feedback, ...).

So what are your suggestions going forward?

Matthieu