From Jonathan Ellis <jbel...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Row vs CF
Date Wed, 22 Apr 2009 16:36:52 GMT
On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 11:32 AM, Sandeep Tata <sandeep.tata@gmail.com> wrote:
> Having multiple CFs in a row could be useful for writes. Consider the
> case when you use one CF to store the data and another to store some
> kind of secondary index on that data. It will be useful to apply
> updates to both families atomically.

Except that's not how it works, each Memtable (CF) has its own
executor thread so even if you put multiple CFs in a Row it's not
going to be atomic with the current system, and it's a big enough
change to try to add some kind of coordination there that I don't
think it's worth it.  (And you have seen that I am not scared of big
changes, so that should give you pause. :)

Back to YAGNI. :)  Row doesn't fit in the current execution model, so
rather than leaving it as a half-baked creation, better to excise it
and if we ever decide to support atomic updates across CFs then that
would be the time to add it or something like it back.

-Jonathan