From Jonathan Ellis <jbel...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: working together
Date Wed, 08 Apr 2009 02:30:13 GMT
On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 3:10 PM, Torsten Curdt <tcurdt@apache.org> wrote:
> So the problems I am seeing are:
>
> 1. We elected a committer without real community consensus. The
> barrier of entry was unnatural low on this one. On the other hand we
> need non-FB committers for the graduation. The more the better. (No
> reason for low entry barrier though!)

It's unfortunate that Avinash and Prashant weren't part of the
process.  Still, when I talked to Avinash on March 1, he told me [and
this is a direct quote] "If I had known you earlier I would have added
you as a committer."  So when I asked one of the mentors how to become
a committer and it worked out from there it did not occur to me that
anything was wrong.

> 2. A missing definition of development process:
>  - What is considered a valid code review?
>  - How much are changes discussed up-front?

I think we have a handle on this now.  All changes are put on Jira for
review and are not committed until there is at least one +1 from a
reviewer.  (I personally prefer post-commit review because manually
attaching and applying patches is tedious but we don't have enough
people following the commit log for that to work right now.)

>  - What is the roadmap? ...for whom? (weighted as a community)

That's worth a separate thread. Such as this one. :)
http://www.mail-archive.com/cassandra-dev@incubator.apache.org/msg00160.html

> 3. Is trunk considered "stable"? Or aren't we missing a stable branch
> for the required stability? Once we have the separation between stable
> and trunk: Will patches really find it's way from trunk into stable?
> Is Facebook OK with that approach. Will everyone cope with the
> additional work of merging? Would it be useful ...or overkill to use
> merge tracking?

I'm happy to assist with merging code to or from stable branches in
this scenario.

> This is a tough situation but I hope everyone sees this as an
> opportunity. Please let's discuss this openly in civilize manner.
> Focusing on how to solve these points rather than looking at the past.
> Please talk to each other. Can you/we work this out together?

This can still be a win/win for everyone.  I think that historically
facebook has felt like the community hasn't contributed much of value,
but we're starting to change that. The build and test process is
dramatically better than it was before thanks to community
contributions.  We have a real daemon mode.  (Well, not in the purest
sense, but it runs in the background nicely w/o nohup or screen. :)
We've also found and fixed several concurrency bugs, and we're well on
the way to having remove and range queries implemented.

Our IRC population has more than doubled.  (#cassandra on freenode:
http://www.mibbit.com/?server=irc.freenode.net&channel=%23cassandra&nick=mibbit
for a web client)  We have a chance to make this more than a niche
project.

-Jonathan