From Johann Schleier-Smith <jssm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: working together
Date Wed, 08 Apr 2009 09:06:43 GMT
I joined the Cassandra-dev list earlier today so I post with hesitation,
knowing that others here have much more knowledge of the project.  However,
I hope that my thoughts can provide useful and objective "outsider
perspective."

The Facebook team has created a really groundbreaking database that has the
promise of widespread applicability.  The architecture, and code make it
clear that this team has exceptional talent and experience.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I doubt that anyone else has anywhere
near the amount of production learnings about Cassandra as Facebook has.  If
there's any hesitation about stability from their perspective this should be
taken very seriously.  It's a lot easier to advance platform code like this
if it never strays very far from production-readiness.

Community contributions during the past months are clearly making an impact.
 The code base looked very much like an in-house project before, but there
is clear progress toward a clean distribution that is easy for people to
work with.  Daemon mode and unit tests are evidence of this.  I'm sure we'll
see useful features, more tests, examples, and documentation rounding out
the contributions before too long.

Refactoring is also a valuable contribution because it makes the code easier
to work with.  I have gripes of my own, but keeping the code easy for
Facebook to work with remains of paramount importance.  My experience is
with a large 24/7 environment that handles valuable customer data.  In this
context you really can't afford to have breakages, and in the tension
between refactoring and stability, the latter usually wins unless you have
an excellent suite of unit tests and an really good stress test platform.
 Hopefully Cassandra will have both of these before too long.

It might be a little unusual for an incubator project to put emphasis on
stability as opposed to feature development.  Then again it's a little
unusual for an incubator project to have a large production deployment.

I imagine that the roadmap might first go after adding packaging and
features critical to early-adopters outside of Facebook.  This will allow
others to build similar production experience and to contribute at a higher
level.  Creating a stable branch at that time would allow trunk to progress
with creative enhancements in a somewhat less encumbered way.