From Sandeep Tata <>
Subject Re: could cassandra be split into two parts?
Date Sun, 12 Apr 2009 01:44:35 GMT
Depends on what exactly you have in mind ...

Almost all of the storage engine logic is in the db package. I don't
think it would be too hard to make this pluggable so you could slide
in your own DB, say based on Derby/MySQL/BDB etc... I can see how
specialized implementations of the database part could be useful for
different apps.

Do you expect that the API will still be the same put/get style thrift
API ? Or are you hoping to expose the additional abilities of the
underlying db through the thrift API ? That makes the question more
interesting (and complicated).

On Sat, Apr 11, 2009 at 6:33 PM, Ian Holsman <> wrote:
> hey.
> I was wondering how feasible it would be to de-couple the P2P layer of
> cassandra from the storage engine.
> I'd like to be able to plug in a non-column DB underneath, and use the DHT
> layer of cassandra.
> Is this something anyone else has considered doing?
> --
> Ian Holsman

View raw message