From Ian Holsman <...@holsman.net>
Subject Re: could cassandra be split into two parts?
Date Sun, 12 Apr 2009 01:58:07 GMT

On 12/04/2009, at 11:44 AM, Sandeep Tata wrote:

> Depends on what exactly you have in mind ...
>
> Almost all of the storage engine logic is in the db package. I don't
> think it would be too hard to make this pluggable so you could slide
> in your own DB, say based on Derby/MySQL/BDB etc... I can see how
> specialized implementations of the database part could be useful for
> different apps.
>
> Do you expect that the API will still be the same put/get style thrift
> API ? Or are you hoping to expose the additional abilities of the
> underlying db through the thrift API ? That makes the question more
> interesting (and complicated).

initially it could be done via the put/get api, as most things would
work that way (that I envisage).
but it would be nice to be able to be able to have custom API's
implemented via thrift, and having cassandra
just route the api to their required server and just pass it through.
kind of like a proxy.

eg.
execSQL("cat", "select foo from bar where id='cat'") would use "cat"
as the key and route that to the appropriate mysql engine.

I would hope cassandra could handle the replication component of it,
not mysql.

--
Ian Holsman
Ian@Holsman.net