From Shalin Shekhar Mangar <>
Subject Re: More verbose svn commit messages would be useful
Date Sat, 04 Apr 2009 10:20:31 GMT
On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 11:49 PM, Torsten Curdt <> wrote:

> > But my philosophy in general is that commit messages should be a one
> > sentance summary.  Maybe two.  Gory details should be in jira and the
> > code, if necessary.  The linux kernel may prefer to be more verbose
> > but that is not the only way to do things; I think you will find that
> > smaller projects lean towards being more terse.  I checked a few
> > projects I have checked out locally (sqlalchemy, thrift, hadoop core,
> > and hbase) and all seem to follow "one sentence or two."
> One sentence or two is fine ... as long as it captures nature of the
> commit.
> More important is to add the name of contributor of the patch (also
> for legal reasons) and it's more than just convenient to provide a
> link to the jira. That is common practice.
My 2 cents.

I guess if you follow the way commit messages are marked in the Lucene
world, it should be fine. For example:

CASSANDRA-31 -- Clean up misspellings and javadoc warnings

The CHANGES.txt is where all the authors of the contributions are marked.
You can add them to the commit message. But there are usually many people
1. The person who reported the issue and/or opened the issue (perhaps only
on the mailing list)
2. The people who contributed patches
3. The people who reviewed the patch
4. The person who committed the code

For an example look at Solr's change log

Shalin Shekhar Mangar.