From Andrew Lunny <alu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: plugin analysis
Date Tue, 02 Oct 2012 17:21:40 GMT
My two cents: the biggest issue is not distribution (which can take care of
itself until it's a bottleneck) or installation (which we've done a lot of
work on) but plugin development.

There's no way to write a plugin outside of the context of a specific app
you're developing; and most plugins are extracted from an existing app.
This means cross-platform concerns aren't taken into consideration (it may
not be the same person implementing each port, for instance), API
development isn't really standardized, and bugs/issues/updates aren't
always timely.

Thinking out loud here, but it might be useful to have a PluginApp
template/harness that anyone could use/install as a harness and environment
for writing cross-platform plugins, that enforces some of these things and
encourages good practices. Not sure exactly what that would look like - it
would probably become clear after we throw out a couple crappy attempts.

Andrew