From Andrew Lunny <alu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Pluginstall tool discussion
Date Tue, 09 Oct 2012 23:44:57 GMT
I've missed most of this discussion, but I wanted to make a few quick
points:

* `pluginstall` (the tool I developed, that is used by PhoneGap Build) is a
tool for installing plugins. Per the Unix philosophy, it doesn't and won't
do anything other than that.

* There may well be a need and a demand for a tool that grabs plugins from
git repositories, uninstalls plugins, generates starter plugins, etc. But
that's not pluginstall, and I think that tool should probably be named
something else. It looks like Mike has made a start on that with his
cordova-pluginrepo repository, which is awesome.

* The problems that need to be solved by pluginstall are of the form "I
can't install plugin x with pluginstall", or "I can't write a plugin that
does x that can be installed by pluginstall." The only way to find those
problems is to try writing those plugins. The PGB team is moving forward on
a few, and we've worked with some other companies who have helped us see
where pluginstall was lacking (adding multiple children to an Android
intent-filter, installing a dylib into an iOS project).

* node-xcode is a separate project, and will be useful for any plugin tools
written with node. It would probably be better for everyone's sanity if
there was a single version of that parser. I've been pretty slack about
merging changes, so I'll get up to speed on that.

* If other tools want to interoperate with pluginstall, they should follow
the plugin spec here:
https://github.com/alunny/cordova-plugin-spec
That's a working document and is open to changes. Again, my preference is
for changes of the form "I can't write a plugin that does X in this format"
rather than "this element has a slightly misleading name; how about this
name?". The GitHub issues for that repo is the best place to discuss
changes to that spec.

Cheers,
Andrew