From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: marking pull request committer correctly
Date Wed, 10 Oct 2012 23:01:10 GMT
Hi,

On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 1:11 AM, Patrick Mueller <pmuellr@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'll add some of these tool-y bits to the CommitterWorkflow page. But I
> guess if we aren't actively checking the committer/author bits in a git
> hook, folks can put garbage in anyway.

Right. The repositories on git-wip-us automatically maintain an OOB
push log that ties each push to a specific @apache.org account,
regardless of what the included Git commit messages say.

So it's not too big an issue if the committer/author bits aren't
absolutely correct, but having them in good shape of course makes
things clearer when later on browsing the version history.

On the "Committer" field in a Git commit message; I'm actually not
entirely sure if forcing it to be the same as the "Apache committer"
who pushes the changes to git-wip-us is a good idea. The "Committer"
field has a pretty specific technical meaning in Git and mixing that
with the somewhat different meaning that the *committer* term might
cause some confusion. If we want to mention in the commit message the
Apache committer who accepted a given pull request and pushed those
commits to the canonical repository, using the Signed-off-by mechanism
might be a better alternative. See also some earlier infra-dev@
discussion in http://markmail.org/message/ljezsfv2mvzg7gll.

BR,

Jukka Zitting