From Joe Bowser <bows...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Android] Preview and one activity too far?
Date Wed, 03 Oct 2012 20:21:19 GMT
On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 1:05 PM, Simon MacDonald
<simon.macdonald@gmail.com> wrote:
> I kinda think we need a preview. Here is some new plugins that have
> just been submitted that do what we are looking to do:
>
> https://github.com/phonegap/phonegap-plugins/tree/master/Android/ForegroundCamera
> https://github.com/phonegap/phonegap-plugins/tree/master/Android/ForegroundGallery

These plugins are REALLY barebones, and look very similar to the
Camera code that you wrote earlier.  There's no Auto Focus or Zoom on
these cameras, both of which are currently working on my branch.

https://github.com/infil00p/callback-android/tree/camera

And here's a screenshot from an HTC One X showing that we need assets:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/52655207@N00/8051510525/in/photostream

> One of my other thoughts about this endeavour is that it is a lot more
> work than we first thought. I don't see this making 2.2.0 as we'll
> need to test the hell out of it before replacing the current camera.

Agreed. Hacking together a simple camera definitely has some feature
creep.  There's also the fact that we have to test it across a wide
range of devices, which we've been doing here, but this is basically
regular Native Android development at this point.  That being said,
I'm working on putting Preview in the same activity as the Camera
because I don't think it needs a 2nd activity, and I don't like the
extra intent passing after hacking on it earlier.  I'm hoping to get
the preview working.  After that, we're going to have to deal with
other state issues, namely what happens when the phone goes to sleep.

Then there's the whole transcribing of the layouts to code so that we
don't have to get users to pass around another XML layout or do things
like have scripts add Java includes. (I think our scripts write enough
Java code already)

Joe