From Mike Reinstein <reinstein.m...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: a package manager experiment
Date Sun, 14 Oct 2012 19:11:05 GMT
Hi Max!

We've been chatting about package manager stuff a bit prior to your arrival
a few days ago. The 2 main proposals we've seen are to use npm for
everything, or try to set up an independant system, which is similar but
different (hopefully suited to cordova's particulars.) I've been exploring
option 2, and had a brief discussion with Isaac Schlueter and Dominic about
this. I think it's an interesting read.
https://github.com/dominictarr/rc/issues/5

Here is the spec (and partial implementation) of what I've got so far:
https://github.com/mreinstein/cpm

I would really appreciate some feedback on this. If it turns out that the
cordova community is really against doing it this way then I'd rather know
sooner than later, so I'm not burning time on a project that no one wants.
I'm hoping for more feedback from Isaac as well, especially on the bullets
in that rc discussion because I think I outlined all the major hurdles that
using npm straight up might introduce. In my opinion, using npm directly
would be a mistake, but I'm still in the experimentation phase at this
point.

-Mike