From Brent Lintner <brent.lint...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Ripple Emulator CLI
Date Mon, 15 Oct 2012 23:18:53 GMT
Hey Brian (and all),

Dan is out of the country (vacation) for the next week, so it is just me at
the moment. :-)

First off, I squashed all the commits in that branch into a manageable
amount, and tried to make a very detailed message on the why/what/where,
that will hopefully explain the gist of the functionality. There is also
this Pull Request (as a reference) ->
https://github.com/blackberry/Ripple-UI/pull/595/files

As for `emulate`, yeah, currently it is (pretty much) a static web server
(first step), except (if I am not repeating what is already known) there is
also an (http) route bound to it that can be used to do various things like
proxying cross origin XHR calls locally, vs shelling out to a remote web
service like we do now), same with the serving up of 'ripple/enable/'.

Definitely like the idea of pumping device events/data to Ripple, btw! I
know one of the guys who used to be on our team did something similar with
an installed app that pumped Accelerometer data via websockets to Ripple to
test a game with (vs using the virtual phone to manipulate accel data) that
never made it in- it was epic.. :-D

And.. as another idea to add onto what Dan was saying earlier about
injecting the UI & code via webserver middleware (or at least exploring
it), I also think (as we have discussed) something like a "remote web
inspector" style approach would be really cool (if not useful). I.e. where
the UI is (instead) separated from the core emulation bits (that get
injected when you app is loaded), and your app can run normally (i.e.
running as an installed app, in a mobile browser, in another desktop
browser (tab), whatever).. so when any data that is changed via Ripple's UI
(or from wherever), it is propagated to the emulated API code in the app
(wherever it is). Sort of like the above idea, but reverse. A thought.. If
that makes sense.. :-)

Brent - \m/

--
Brent