From Jesse <purplecabb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: capabilities api
Date Sat, 20 Oct 2012 00:46:54 GMT
I was thinking that if there is no camera API, or no plugin present
then window.device.camera will be null

window.device.camera.supports("frontcamera"); // boolean

However, it is easy enough to map the same thing to :

window.device.capabilities.frontcamera = false;

My point is, where is the code that queries the capabilities going to live?
I suggest that each plugin be responsible for detecting what it is
capable of, and setting values that developer code can check.
Otherwise we end up with a huge capabilities detection logic in native
that may not even be used.
ie. I haven't even included camera, or capture, but code is still run
to detect, front camera, back camera, resolution, color depth, zoom
capabilities, hdr, ...

On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 5:44 PM, Shazron <shazron@gmail.com> wrote:
> re: the boolean properties -- I was thinking about Modernizr plus
> yepnope http://yepnopejs.com/
>
> Don't know about the other platforms, but Cordova waits for the
> Objective-C side to return with the device properties before calling
> deviceready, so we need to bench it first
>
> On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 5:39 PM, Brian LeRoux <b@brian.io> wrote:
>> plus there could be more than one camera accessing api (and there is!)
>>
>> kinda like the flat bool property approach you propose shaz. the
>> calling code would be clean. worried we're going to end up throwing
>> lots of shit on that pile. also not sure what the perf impact would be
>> like. (presumably these are blocking calls which kinda sucks.)
>>

>> On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 5:29 PM, Shazron <shazron@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> So... if the device is capable of something (say front and back
>>> camera) and we don't enable the Camera plugin, one can't query for it?
>>> This is more of a device thing I think than a Camera API thing. Can't
>>> think of a scenario besides diagnostics though...

(More than
We are

I think

wrote:

> [...]