From Michal Mocny <mmo...@google.com>
Subject IOS6 LocalStorage filesystem target location.
Date Wed, 03 Oct 2012 20:31:01 GMT
=== Background ===

In IOS5.1 moved these files from the "documents" folder to a "cache"
folder, which meant they may get purged when the system decided memory was
geting tight.  To get around this, we implemented a manual backup/restore
plugin (CDVLocalStorage).  (I was not here for this work, piecing history
together.)

With IOS6, Apply added a new UserDefaults option
(WebKitStoreWebDataForBackup) to backup these files onto iCloud, with the
side effect of having persistant local storage without the need for our
backup hacks/plugin.

========

Initially I used this new IOS6 feature as a means to get persistant
localstorage (there was a bug to add that when I started contributing).

However, its actually been against apple policy to store these files in the
documents folder, and user apps are being rejected from app store, see:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CB-1561.

More importantly, I don't think we should want to backup these files to a
users' iCloud just to get persistant storage.

I think we should re-enable the plugin used for ios5.1 on ios6 and not
backup to iCloud.  This may have perf implications but no more-so than we
have already been dealing with until now (and which I haven't benchmarked).

What do others think?  There are other means to fix the current issues and
continue to use the next setting, so we do have options here.