From Shazron <shaz...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: IOS6 LocalStorage filesystem target location.
Date Fri, 19 Oct 2012 19:21:25 GMT
> On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 1:55 PM, Shazron <shazron@gmail.com> wrote:
>> To recap:
>>
>> iOS 6 indeed does solve this problem with the NSUserDefaults key
>> "WebKitStoreWebDataForBackup" - which I think the web data is stored
>> in Library/Caches as changed by iOS 5.1.
>
> What do you mean by "ios6 does solve this problem"?
>
> The WebKitStoreWebDataForBackup flag changes the LocalStorage location
> from /Library/Caches to /Library/WebKit/LocalStorage (ie, back to
> where it was before ios5.1 moved it to Cache folder).  Setting this
> flag means LocalStorage persists (great) but also backs up to iCloud
> (may not be desired -- and arguably should never be desired).

Does it back up to iCloud though? I wasn't sure.

>> CB-1561 (Apple rejection) could be solved by them setting the metadata
>> bit. But if they want it to be backed up by iCloud they shouldn't do
>> set that bit - but then if they _don't_ set that bit -- rejection.
>
> If not setting that bit causes rejection, then seems we should just
> set it by default.  Somehow apps have managed to sneak by the review
> process until now (perhaps the changes to ios6 have changed the review
> process?).

It might be a perception problem -- the reviewers see a bunch of .db
files that do not seem "user created" and taking up a lot of space,
and think it's app data that can be recreated. I don't recall the
actual reason why the bit wasn't set in the first place - but it
probably was my reasoning that the user should actively know what is
happening with this data and use the setMetadata function if they
_don't_ want it to be backed up (so it is backed up by default --
iCloud plus iTunes sync). That and it wasn't documented adequately by
me probably resulted in a lot of headache.