From Brian>
Subject Re: moving towards semantic versioning for cordova?
Date Thu, 04 Oct 2012 10:37:37 GMT
I personally don't think semver really did fix anything in ruby-land
(but thats my opinion). Ruby has a crummy package system.The only one
worse is Pythons.

Anyhow, I added a little bit about our releases in the wiki [1] and a
much longer post to the phonegap blog [2] to help folks better
understand the rational. To echo Fil, I don't think we have the luxury
of knowing when something breaks given the cat and mouse nature of the
project relationship to mobile operating system vendors.

On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 11:44 PM, Mike Reinstein
<> wrote:
> I certainly don't meant to rehash something that has been discussed
> ad-nauseam. Nor am I advocating we change how often we release. I think the
> key distinction is picking a version number that indicates breaking change,
> compatible changes/new features, vs patches. Semantic versioning provides a
> clean way to do specify this. In npm and ruby land, this has largely fixed
> dependency hell, and has led to more reliable code re-use.
> Just a thought.
> On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 5:37 PM, Filip Maj <> wrote:
>> This discussion again :)
>> With a point release coming out every month or so that limits us to being
>> able to "break" things every 10 months or so. With changing SDKs (see iOS
>> 4.2, 5, and 6) sometimes we need to break things, like, asap.
>> Other times we break things because we are assholes (from our users' point
>> of view, at least :P )
>> On 10/3/12 2:21 PM, "Mike Reinstein" <> wrote:
>> >I'm wondering if anyone else has given thought towards adopting semantic
>> >versioning for our releases. In terms of making plugin development and
>> >version adoption less painful, this might be a good move. Thoughts?
>> >
>> >-Mike

View raw message