From Brian LeRoux...@brian.io>
Subject Re: capabilities api
Date Mon, 22 Oct 2012 18:55:44 GMT
The longer view would seem that we would want to think this through
more and give a unified API for any kind of device hardware/sensor
inquiry. I'm a fan of keeping that decoupled from interacting w/ the
objects of introspection too---this should be a core part of the
platform.

window.device.capabilities.* bucket feels right

On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 9:06 AM, Josh Soref <jsoref@rim.com> wrote:
> For his specific requirement "I need to know if there's a camera", certainly the camera
API could choose not to be available if there's no camera, and merely:

> window.device.camera == false ?
>
> or wherever cordova puts the camera.
>
> A capabilities API is absolutely overkill for his requirements.
>
> (And yes, that W3 RDF monstrosity is too, but that's no reason to even look at it...)
>
> If the requirement is "I want to be able to lazy load the camera plugin, and only if
there's a camera available", that seems to violate the plugin model, and the response should
be "we promise to try to make the camera module load/fail quickly if there are no cameras
available".

> This transmission (including any attachments) may contain confidential information, privileged
and may be unlawful.