From Patrick Mueller <>
Subject Re: sweet.js and TypeScript
Date Tue, 23 Oct 2012 00:09:16 GMT
On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 6:10 PM, Andrew Grieve <> wrote:

> Not sure I follow your intended purpose for the "header files". Are they
> for documentation purposes?

Here's the typescript "header file" for node.js:

So, what could you use this for?  Presumably, things like:

- doc
- instrumented version of Cordova that type-checks parameters
- linters
- code completion in editors, debuggers
- showing structure in editors, debuggers

> docs for CC interfaces:

I meant "interfaces" generically - should have said "APIs".

One of the things you need, if you're going to take the time and hand-code
up a type-encrusted machine-readable description of your "API", is to get
that type information back out again, for your doc, code completers, etc.
 Eg, you'd want to "compile" your description into a JSON structure that
some other program can read.  I don't see the Closure compiler nor
TypeScript providing this kind of information.  But maybe I'm wrong.

It appears Closure uses JSDoc annotations for a lot of this information -
and we're already using these types of annotations; perhaps that's a better
route to go down, for anyone thinking about playing with this stuff.  I'm
not sure you can get the "data" description of your API out of JSDoc
either, though.

Patrick Mueller