From Patrick Mueller <pmue...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: marking pull request committer correctly
Date Wed, 10 Oct 2012 22:11:21 GMT
It appears one trick is that you can use the repo name in a pull.  Here are
the instructions from the email sent out from the pull request:
http://markmail.org/message/6nmxtszeb4nudg4j

$ git pull https://github.com/cmarcelk/incubator-cordova-ios cb-1473

I did some experiments, and it appears that two different things happen,
depending on whether the pull is a fast-forward or not - it WAS in my case.
If it's a fast-forward, it must just leave the author/committer alone - no
actual new commit was created in this case. If it's not a fast-forward,
then it's a merge, and both the author/committer get set to ME! oh dear. :-)

git log will show you both author/committer if invoked as:

git log --pretty=full

Trolling around the web a bit, apparently you can use

git commit --author="whoever"

Presumably, you might use this in a commit --amend --author="whoever" AFTER
you pull/merge/rebase, but BEFORE you push to apache git. Of course, you
should NEVER amend a commit which you have already pushed.

I'll add some of these tool-y bits to the CommitterWorkflow page. But I
guess if we aren't actively checking the committer/author bits in a git
hook, folks can put garbage in anyway.

--
Patrick Mueller
http://muellerware.org