From Patrick Mueller <pmue...@gmail.com>
Subject marking pull request committer correctly
Date Wed, 10 Oct 2012 15:21:36 GMT
wops.  Made a boo-boo.

If you look at this commit:

https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-cordova-ios.git;a=commit;h=4d322c0b786e96aaac15ee6fbea5a832ac40ea43

you'll notice that Marcel is marked as the author and committer.  But I
committed the code, since Marcel isn't a committer.  That's the boo-boo.
Oh, and Marcel is (not yet) an Apache Cordova committer, but has
contributed some other code.

I followed an easy path to get the code in, via github pull request:

    git co master
    git pull
    git pull https://github.com/cmarcelk/incubator-cordova-ios cb-1473
    ... test the code ...
    git push

Or something like that.  Apparently that wasn't enough to trigger getting
the committer changed to myself.

We do have directions in the wiki about how to handle pull requests:

    http://wiki.apache.org/cordova/CommitterWorkflow

I suspect there is an easier recipe without having to do the `git remote
add`, which is silly.  Something like:

- create branch
- pull github pull request
- merge into master

Thinking that the merge will change the committer to the actual committer
instead of contributor.

Thoughts?

And two questions:

1) Do we have an way to change the message that gets sent to the dev list
from github pull request, like this one:

    http://markmail.org/message/6nmxtszeb4nudg4j

Perhaps replace the instructions with a link to the CommitterWorkflow page.

2) Do we have a way of preventing this from happening?  Have git to do
check on pushes to ensure the git committer is a valid Apache Cordova
committer.

--
Patrick Mueller
http://muellerware.org