From Patrick Mueller <pmue...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: sweet.js and TypeScript
Date Mon, 22 Oct 2012 19:23:26 GMT
On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 10:05 AM, Andrew Grieve <agrieve@chromium.org>wrote:

> I'm well accustomed to writing typed JS from my past experience with
> Closure Compiler. I haven't looked enough at TypeScript yet to know which
> tool might give better type checking, but if people are interested in type
> checking, it'd be worth considering Closure Compiler as well.

My primary interest here would be to do something similar to what Isaac was
suggesting: have a separate "header file" (prolly header-file-per-plugin)
that describes the API of the plugin using a typed description language.
 Then make use of that typed information in various ways.

I've tried this a number of times over the years, even doing whacky things
like describing JS interfaces in Java - Java interfaces are easy to
introspect over - and "Web IDL" - which is frankly a bit horrifying (but
can be greatly simplified).  So, I'm pretty open-minded about HOW we
describe our interfaces.  We just need a way to get the interface
description out of the headers, programmatically.

Does Closure Compiler support that in any way?  It appears to me that it
consumes JSDoc comments, and then uses them internally for validation, etc.

--
Patrick Mueller
http://muellerware.org