From Andrew Grieve <>
Subject cordova/debug vs. cordova/emulate
Date Tue, 16 Oct 2012 00:43:10 GMT
Many questions around what these are supposed to do.

The current state:
cordova/debug: Does a clean build in debug mode
cordova/emulate: Does a build if the app does not exist, but doesn't
attempt to build if it's there but stale. Runs the app in the simulator via

cordova/debug: Builds and installs the app on a running emulator
codrova/emulate: Starts an emulator, but doesn't launch the app. Doesn't
build or install the app.

I'm not sure about other platforms...

There's was a recent proposal (today even?) about changing cordova/emulate
to launch the app in Ripple. That might make sense, although I think Ripple
may make more sense as a separate platform in the CLI world (e.g. "cordova
platform add ripple").

on iOS - why do a clean build instead of a regular build?
on Android - why not build from emulate? Is there a way to launch the app
via adb (probably there is).
on both platforms - "debug" doesn't make sense to me. How about calling it
on both platforms - I think it would make more sense if "emulate" always
performed an incremental build first.

Thoughts on any of this?