From Ally Ogilvie <aogil...@wizcorp.jp>
Subject Re: enhancing the plugin lifecycle for ios
Date Mon, 22 Oct 2012 04:35:54 GMT
I agree entirely with your logic. For ..
>core APIs in Cordova

I can think use cases where a stripped down "Cordova Lite" if you will,
could be required...
But I expect that customisation of core APIs to happen during the
custom/script build phase of a Cordova framework or lib

As a end user/developer I should not care about the core APIs too much. I
think the use case above is really for power users with a specific use case.
Most developers would expect all core APIs to just be available on demand~

For 3rd party plugins > plugins that boot ridiculous amounts of native SDKs
on deviceready() (if done in non blocking code), IMHO would show no major
performance increase in comparison with booting SDKs in parallel with
Codvova's native APIs.

On the other hand something that I am updating right now is this;
https://github.com/Wizcorp/phonegap-plugin-wizAnalytics (which is why I am
particularly interested in this thread...)

For me, this thread can be summarised in the following riddle;
If my app has 10 advertising SDKs that log session and event information
from my webapp.. (using a Cordova 3rd party plugin - wizAnalytics in this
case...)
*when should I boot the SDKs so I can log my first session?*

On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 1:11 PM, Filip Maj <fil@adobe.com> wrote:

> Think of all of the core APIs in Cordova. A couple of them (device info,
> network connection + info) are required before deviceready fires. If we
> shed all of the core APIs and eventually adopt a 100% plugin-based
> architecture (where cordova is composed of only the bridge between the
> webview and native), then we end up composing a hybrid container with
> arbitrary APIs. Some of those may or may not be available when the app
> loads up, so defining the ability to lazily or eagerly load plugins is a
> good idea.
>
> On 10/21/12 9:02 PM, "Ally Ogilvie" <aogilvie@wizcorp.jp> wrote:
>
> >Is there a point to having / making a plugin that is ready to use before
> >deviceready() ...
> >BUT not actually possible to comunicate with until deviceready() ?
> >:)
> >

> >On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 12:49 PM, Filip Maj <fil@adobe.com> wrote:
> >
> >> One example: plugins that need to be eagerly-loaded could be required
> >> before deviceready fires, so attaching to deviceready might not be an
> >> option :)

> >>subtask if

> >>the

Should