From Michael Brooks <mich...@michaelbrooks.ca>
Subject Re: [Android] Android versioning phase-out (2.1 and 3.x)??
Date Tue, 18 Sep 2012 17:20:13 GMT

> 1. We are having a tough time finding and keeping Android 2.1 devices
> (most get upgraded to 2.3 or just die)

This is a pain-point that I've felt many times. When I have found a device,
there are enough "quirks" on the browser that it's not worth the
development time to support the small percentage of users. Usually, I've
end up supporting 2.3+.

+1 for dropping 2.1.

I'll abstain from voting on Honeycomb because I have very little experience
with that tablet / Android OS.

Michael

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 8:06 AM, Braden Shepherdson <braden@chromium.org>wrote:

> If manufacturers and carriers are rescuing the Galaxy Tabs (the only
> Honeycomb device with any real penetration, I think) then we can justify
> dropping support for it eventually. On the other hand, if the only thing
> stopping it is hardware acceleration, we could easily turn hardware
> acceleration back on and have a "how to fix Honeycomb" doc as Andrew
> suggested.
>
> +1 to dropping 2.1
>

> On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 7:24 AM, Brian LeRoux <b@brian.io> wrote:
>
> > +1 for dropping 2.1
> > +1 for dropping 3.whatever-it-was honeycomb
> >
> > ...in 2.2 or should we issue a general warning and wait a couple of
> > releases?
> >

> > On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 4:41 AM, Shazron <shazron@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Apparently the wifi tablets were only updated last week to ICS (the 3G
> > > updates came first). Also, manual update:
> > >

> http://www.androidauthority.com/galaxy-tab-10-1-p7510-android-4-0-4-ics-uelpl-update-official-110369/

> http://www.gottabemobile.com/2012/09/17/verizon-galaxy-tab-10-1-ice-cream-sandwich-update-rolling-out-now/

> http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/03/t-mobile-samsung-galaxy-tab-10-1-android-ics-update/

> http://www.androidcentral.com/telus-bell-and-rogers-samsung-galaxy-tab-101-andoid-404-updates-now-available