From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Better real time communication
Date Wed, 19 Sep 2012 16:01:07 GMT
Hi,

On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 5:49 PM, Brian LeRoux <b@brian.io> wrote:
> More of an Apache policy than anything. Not sure how strict it is but
> this one was hammered into us early. (I appreciate the reasoning too.)
>
> I personally don't mind as most arch stuff will bubble up here anyhow.
>
> Mentors?

It's perfectly fine to discuss project matters also outside the
mailing list, as long as all significant matters and decisions are
brought back to the list where everyone has a chance to chime in even
if they're in a different time zone or otherwise not able to
participate in real-time discussions.

In practice a good guideline is that you're fine as long as you don't
encounter situations where you get people asking "Why was this done
like this?" and the answer is "We decided it in that meeting on IRC /
phone / etc.". Unless it's a trivial matter (like a simple bug fix
that doesn't need much background), you should be able to answer such
questions with a pointer to the list archive or the issue tracker
where the matter was brought up for discussion. The starting point of
such a discussion could well be a summary of some real-time meeting
elsewhere.

BR,

Jukka Zitting