From Joe Bowser <bows...@gmail.com>
Subject [Android] Android versioning phase-out (2.1 and 3.x)??
Date Mon, 17 Sep 2012 20:57:15 GMT
Hey

Currently, we support 99.4% of all Android devices out in the wild.
That's great, but in reality we're having the following problems with
this approach:

1. We are having a tough time finding and keeping Android 2.1 devices
(most get upgraded to 2.3 or just die)
2. The devices we do have are over three years old and/or are total garbage
3. We have a dependency, commons-codec, which we have to currently
track so that it doesn't break the script.  This JAR is so we can
support Base64 on Android 2.1. (on 3.7% of all Android devices)

And those are the problems with supporting Android 2.1 off the top of
my head, not even getting into the crap state of the Android browser.
Then there's the Honeycomb tablets:

1. Hardware acceleration is broken

So, if we remove support for Honeycomb and Eclair and stick to Froyo,
Gingerbread, ICS and Jellybean, we should be able to eliminate most of
our pain points, and only not support 5.8% of Android users.  I don't
know if this is acceptable, and whether we should continue supporting
2.1 and 3.x forever, but given that we deprecated support for 1.x, I
think there's precedent for it.

Thoughts?

Joe