From Joe Bowser <bows...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Better real time communication
Date Wed, 19 Sep 2012 15:50:21 GMT
On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 8:41 AM, Michal Mocny <mmocny@google.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I really appreciate the "Mailing List or it didn't happen" sentiment -- I
> certainly hate feeling like I've missed some valuable information from an
> offline discussion.
>
> However, email is not always the most efficient means to communicate.

I'm sure many of us agree.  However, "The Apache Way"
(http://theapacheway.com/) dictates that we make decisions on e-mail
and nowhere else.  We didn't make this rule, Apache did.

> So, would it be acceptable to put up an IRC bot which logs all
> conversations on #cordova and mails the ML (either automatically or via
> some input) and saves transcripts online?  I've done this in the past to
> great success, and we've just changed the channel status message to inform
> users that all messages are logged.
>
> Thoughts?

Since we can't decide anything through other means of communication, I
don't see the value of getting this stream of text sent to my inbox.
I most likely wouldn't read it, because of The Apache Way.  I view
this as a flaw of "The Apache Way", but I accept it.

Joe