From Joe Bowser <bows...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Android] Android versioning phase-out (2.1 and 3.x)??
Date Mon, 17 Sep 2012 21:29:55 GMT
On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 2:22 PM, Brion Vibber <bvibber@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> I would not mind dropping 2.1; our apps for Wikipedia have been 2.2+ anyway
> due to breakages in the 2.1 browser.
>
> 3/3.2 would be slightly sad to miss only because there are Honeycomb
> tablets that haven't received ICS updates, including my Galaxy Tab 10.1 but
> ... let's be honest there's not a lot of them out there. I'm not sure how
> to blacklist those particular versions in the AndroidManifest however while
> still being compatible with 2.2/2.3...

That's a very good point.  I'm almost convinced that the 3.1 on
Google's dashboard is literally the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 devices
that Google gave away at IO a couple of years ago that were pretty
much orphaned by Samsung because they had a broken build.

By far, Honeycomb was probably the worst version of Android ever, and
I've been using it since 1.0 and remember how bad 2.0 was when it
first came out on the Droid/Milestone.  We can't even deprecate it
cleanly.