From Braden Shepherdson <bra...@chromium.org>
Subject Re: Wiping plugins on navigation
Date Thu, 06 Sep 2012 15:27:42 GMT
Repeating here a comment on the bug:

Jimmy Jarvis<https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ViewProfile.jspa?name=jiminyjarvis>
added
a comment - 05/Sep/12 23:02 - edited

JSON-P uses a unique callback identifier, similar to the proposed fix
above, and is far more reliable and easier to debug than reset with
repeating IDs. It would be unfortunate overhead to have to reinitialize our
native logic every time a page reloads. The app would become far less
responsive, at least for us. If a plugin is a bunch of stubs, it's not an
big deal as you say – however, if it is a longer running setup process ----
I'd prefer ignoring unmatched callbacks. I agree sending the plugin a Reset
or Terminate message would enable the plugin authors an opportunity to do
proper cleanup on pending requests, but even if they do not, unique ID's
(like JSON-P) are a better solution than repeating IDs.

On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 9:33 PM, Andrew Grieve <agrieve@chromium.org> wrote:

> Plugins could probably use static fields if they wanted to maintain some
> state between page changes. I think it should be extremely rare to do so
> though. e.g. For the platforms that implement their plugins in JS, is it
> even possible to maintain state between page changes?
>
> One nice outcome of this is that it will make our mobile-spec pages less
> likely to affect each other.
>

> On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 6:59 PM, Brian LeRoux <b@brian.io> wrote:
>
> > Yes I do not refuting Cordova needs to work for both single page and
> > multipage apps. Just saying there is a solution to this problem. ;P
> >

> > On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 3:49 PM, Jesse <purplecabbage@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Whether it is an edge case, or a common case, multi-page apps are a
> > > reality, so we definitely need to notify plugins when the page is
> > > changing.
> > > I don't necessarily agree that the plugin should be destroyed and
> > > recreated though, I can think of several cases where persistence would
> > > be nice to have.
> > >
> > > I also do not see this as a security issue.  Security is already
> > > governed by the white-list, so non-trusted pages cannot access device
> > > functions.  If a plugin needs additional security, then it should be
> > > built into the plugin, and not the responsibility of the framework.
> > > ... Thinking of a SuperCookie plugin which uses the domain of the
> > > currently loaded page before deciding what to return, or something
> > > similar.
> > >
> > > My 2 sense,
> > >   Jesse

> braden@chromium.org>