From Mike Reinstein <reinstein.m...@gmail.com>
Subject pluginstall cleanup and improvements
Date Wed, 19 Sep 2012 16:55:45 GMT
Hey folks,

As you may know, pluginstall is the low level awesome utility written by
Andrew Lunny, and it's a very key element in the cordova command line tools
that several people have been working on. Andrew and I spoke yesterday over
email, and he's planning to be afk from this tool for several weeks as he
gets caught up with work, and finishes the major phonegap build release
they are doing. I'm starting this thread to have a discussion about some
changes; I want to make sure we can come to some agreement before
proceeding with actual merging and cleanup.

For brevity's sake I'm going to assume you already have a working knowledge
of how pluginstall works but of course feel free to ask questions as
needed. These are the major points to discuss:

   - IMO pluginstall should force namespacing to prevent multiple plugins
   from having colliding assets. For example, Child Browser plugin would put
   it's native files in ios projects under Plugins/Child_Browser and for
   android projects under src/Child_Browser/com/phonegap/..
   - I've looked at a few plugins, and i think we can change from explicit
   to copying declarations in the manifest file to implicit; rather than
   having to declare source-files, header-files, and asset-files in
   plugin.xml, all resources should be copied in, and use the file extension
   to dictate how it's handled (for example .h files will always be added as
   headers to an ios project's xcodeproj file, etc)
   - rename <config-file> to <xml-graft> and <plugins-plist> to
   <plist-add>. Since these tags represent operations being performed on data
   files, let's identify and rename them as such.
   - change the cli signature to be use more descriptive flags. For example
   maybe something like pluginstall --project <project path> --platform
   <ios|android> -- --plugin <plugin archive path> This will be important as
   the options available for this tool grow
   - multiple calls to addplugin should not pile up duplicate references to
   files. We can probably solve this quickly by internally calling uninstall
   plugin, then install
   - for uninstall purposes, let's keep a copy of plugin.xml in each
   platforms namespaced directory so we have a manifest for removing it later.
   for example from bullet 1, the ios platform would have the file
   Plugins/Child_Browser/plugin.xml

 -Mike