From Mike Reinstein <reinstein.m...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: State of command-line tools
Date Wed, 19 Sep 2012 15:55:42 GMT
Responding to Michal:

>So you cannot programmatically install plugins yet?
You definitely can install plugins, with the following caveats: The plugins
that are out in the wild are just that, wild. Andrew has "tamed" 2 of them:
the childbrowser and pgsqlite. but all bets are off on the others. There
are repos all over github with the plugins in various states. They depend
on different versions of cordova. Cordova only started shipping the cli
tools with 2.0, so if you want to use plugins with that you'll have to
upgrade old plugins to get support. There's also no unification across
platforms ( for example ChildBrowser has different repos for ios, android,
etc.)

> So you just download 3rd party plugins manually then?
Depends on what you mean by manually. If you are comparing to npm install
<blah> yes it's manual. you have to get the plugin, put it somewhere, and
call cordova plugin add <args here...> But the tool cordova tool does work,
for some use cases.

>  perhaps we need a "core working group" and someone to
> drive the overall communication?
That would be wonderful, though I'm not familiar with how this works. I'm
happy to volunteer to do this, but I dont want to step on anybody's toes or
take away power from other people.

> So what are the short term technical tasks that we
> can assist with?  I think Braden is interested in contributing here.

Honestly I think the first thing is, start researching the state of things.
What we really need is to consolidate, organize, and plan. Like I said
communication is the biggest problem. Adding more repos with changes for me
to track is going to give me an ulcer, haha. I mean even referring to my
own stuff, I've got repos where I've made changes that I *think* are
valuable, but really at this point all I've done is make the problem worse;
I've added more repos to track that some other poor soul should follow if
she/he wanted to keep up with all the happenings of the plugin
contributors. I'm committed to making this better and seeing this through
but we need more planning and coordination, not more loose code snippets.
I'll follow up with a stab at an agenda in an email shortly.

Responding to Brian:
> . MANY others have been involved..probably better to
> just leave it at that

I've tried to be as inclusive as possible. I can't possibly know the entire
genesis of the project. I am not marginalizing or trivializing anyone's
contributions; We are all standing on the shoulders of giants. That being
said, I do think it's valuable for a newcomer to provide a practical
overview of who's been contributing in the last few months, and where their
work is. That's why I've referenced specific github names in my last email.
 I'm not trying to leave anyone out, you guys/gals rock!

> use the mailing list to communicate or it did not happen
Agreed, and that's we will continue to do.

> pls use apache git to collaborate in the open, private forks
> that aggregate everything have failed many times in the past
I'm a bit confused on this one. The forks that are on github are currently
public. Mine are too. Regarding failing of past aggregation attempts, I am
going out on a limb and saying they probably failed for communication
reasons, people couldn't get mental buy-in on their ideas, consolidate, or
coordinate. Again I'm saying this without the vast history of
cordova/phonegap/callback's anthropology but in all the other dev projects
I've worked on this tends to be the cause of aggregation failure; people
problems not container issues.