From Mike Reinstein <reinstein.m...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: plugin tooling/specification
Date Sat, 01 Sep 2012 14:13:44 GMT
Ah ok, thanks for the clarification. I've had a chance to review the docs
more carefully. I'm really impressed with how well written they are. What I
*think* makes the most sense is to consolidate into fewer documents so that
it's not necessary to look at so many seperate places. Here's what I
propose:
* merge the cordova-plugin-spec into the alunny/pluginstall README.md
* merge the command line tooling design doc into the cordova-client
README.md
* pull apart the cordova/PluginDesign wiki page and merge parts of it into
the above 2 docs

I think what this gets us is 2 docs instead of 5, and it still maintains
the nice loose coupling between alunny's pluginstall utility and the larger
cordova-client. I'm assuming this separation was the original intent,
rather than having one monolithic tool.

Would love feedback on this, I don't want to waste time doing it and find
out this isn't appropriate. :)

On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 3:35 PM, Filip Maj <fil@adobe.com> wrote:

> Cordova-client depends on pluginstall. Pluginstall does the hard work for
> programmatic plugin installation, which is just one of the apis available
> in cordova-client. So, cordova=client "shells out" to pluginstall.
>
> The client also handles app creation, platform removal/addition, and
> interpolating information from app's config.xml into the necessary spots
> in each native project.
>
> On 8/31/12 12:32 PM, "Mike Reinstein" <reinstein.mike@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Hey Filip,
> >
> >One thing I"m curious about, whats the difference between
> >https://github.com/alunny/pluginstall and
> >https://github.com/apache/incubator-cordova-labs/tree/cordova-client
> >
> >there seems to be some overlap there. Is pluginstall a subset of
> >functionality just related to plugins that has moved into cordova-client
> >or
> >is it different?
> >
> >It seems like cordova-client is the most mature codebase that incorporates
> >a lot of ideas, so I'm just chasing down code I'm finding to see if
> >everythign is in cordova-client or not. Said differently, is it safe to
> >assume that just about all the worthwhile code is in cordova-client?
> >
> >-Mike
> >

> >On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 3:01 PM, Filip Maj <fil@adobe.com> wrote:
> >
> >> All looks good to me Mike.
> >>
> >> I think the "PluginDesign" wiki article would be a great place to
> >> summarize / revamp all this info. Appreciate you tackling this!

> >>about
> >>me
> >>cull
> >>if